Competition for talent is fierce, and employer branding – or communicating why your company is a great place to work – is becoming a more sophisticated and more critical part of a recruiting strategy. While you communicate an employer brand in many ways, it’s most important on the corporate career site, where you have the opportunity to convert people you’ve touched through other channels into potential future employees. A poor user experience on your career site negatively impacts your employer brand and greatly reduces the chance that people will fill out an application. Read on to discover five best practices that can help make your career site your # 1 recruiting asset.
Leverage your corporate brand
Many companies spend a great deal of time and effort developing a positive, identifiable corporate brand. Yet some of the attributes attached to your product or service may also make your company a great place to work. Why not leverage those efforts for your own goals? Connect your talent acquisition team with the company corporate branding team and explore whether there are any messages you can leverage and reinforce in your employer branding. Familiar messages communicated through various employer brand channels, such as social media, print, job boards, and of course your career site, can help turn fans of your corporate brand into employees.
Follow the 80/20 rule
Once you’ve spent time developing your employer brand, resist the urge to make it the only focus of your career site. Remember, the reason people visit your career site is to look for jobs. Employer branding must fit around your jobs, not the other way around. Too many companies make the mistake of putting their employer value proposition statements front and center, instead of a job search bar, for example. The 80/20 rule says 80 percent of your career site real estate should be devoted to jobs. Use the other 20 percent to tell them why they would enjoy working at your company.